[ad_1]
“I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal,” Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said. File
| Photo Credit: AP
Iran’s top diplomat met with the head of the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency on Monday (February 16, 2026), ahead of a second round of negotiations with the United States over Tehran’s nuclear program.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi met with Rafael Grossi, director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, and said he would also meet with Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi of Oman, which is hosting the U.S.-Iran talks in Geneva on Tuesday (February 16).
“I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal,” Mr. Araghchi wrote on X. “What is not on the table: submission before threats,” he added.
Iran open to compromise in exchange for sanctions relief
On Sunday (February 15), Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi signalled that Tehran could be open to compromise on the nuclear issue but is looking for an easing of international sanctions led by the United States.
“The ball is in America’s court. They have to prove they want to have a deal with us,” Mr. Takht-Ravanchi told the BBC. “If we see a sincerity on their part, I am sure that we will be on the road to an agreement.”
“We are ready to discuss this, and other issues related to our program provided that they are also ready to talk about the sanctions,” he added.
Oman hosted a first round of indirect talks between the U.S. and Iran on February 6.
The U.S. is also hosting talks between envoys from Russia and Ukraine in Geneva on Tuesday (February 16) and Wednesday (February 17), days ahead of the fourth anniversary of the all-out Russian invasion of its neighbour.
Similar talks last year between the U.S. and Iran about Iran’s nuclear program broke down after Israel launched what became a 12-day war on Iran, that included the U.S. bombing Iranian nuclear sites.
U.S. keeps military pressure high
U.S. President Donald Trump initially threatened to take military action over Iran’s bloody crackdown on nationwide protests last month but then shifted to a pressure campaign in recent weeks to try to get Tehran to make a deal over its nuclear program.
Mr. Trump said on Friday (February the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, was being sent from the Caribbean to the Mideast to join other military assets the U.S. has built up in the region. He also said a change in power in Iran “would be the best thing that could happen.”
Iran has said if the U.S. attacks, it will respond with an attack of its own.
The Trump administration has maintained that Iran can have no uranium enrichment under any deal. Tehran says it won’t agree to that.
Iran has insisted its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes. However, its officials increasingly threaten to pursue a nuclear weapon. Before the June war, Iran had been enriching uranium up to 60% purity, a short, technical step away from weapons-grade levels.
The direct meeting with Mr. Grossi is a significant step after Iran suspended all cooperation with the IAEA following the June war with Israel. The two also met briefly on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly in September. The IAEA said it has been unable to verify the status of Iran’s near weapons-grade uranium stockpile since the war. Iran has allowed IAEA some access to sites that were not damaged but has not allowed inspectors to visit other sites.
“Iran’s stockpile of uranium enriched to 60% could allow Iran to build as many as 10 nuclear bombs, should it decide to weaponise its program,” Mr. Grossi previously told The Associated Press. He added that it doesn’t mean that Iran has such a weapon.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rushed to Washington last week to urge Mr. Trump to ensure that any deal to include steps to neutralise Iran’s ballistic missile program and end its funding for proxy groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah.
Published – February 16, 2026 04:45 pm IST
[ad_2]
Iran meets U.N. nuclear watchdog in Geneva ahead of a second round of U.S. talks

