[ad_1]
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy with U.S. President Donald Trump during a meeting with a Ukrainian delegation led by Zelenskiy, at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., on December 28, 2025.
| Photo Credit: Reuters
A Ukrainian delegation arrived in the United States for talks Saturday (January 17, 2026) on a U.S.-led diplomatic push to end the nearly four-year-old war as Russian attacks again took aim at Ukraine’s power grid, cutting electricity and heating in freezing temperatures.
Kyrylo Budanov, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s chief of staff, said he arrived in the U.S. to discuss “the details of the peace agreement.”
Writing on the Telegram messaging app, Mr. Budanov said he, together with Ukrainian negotiators Rustem Umerov and Davyd Arakhamia, would meet with U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff, President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and U.S. Army Secretary Dan Driscoll.
Mr. Zelenskyy said Friday (January 17, 2026) that the delegation would try to finalise with U.S. officials documents for a proposed peace settlement that relate to postwar security guarantees and economic recovery.
If American officials approve the proposals, the U.S. and Ukraine could sign the documents next week at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Mr. Zelenskyy said at a Kyiv news conference with Czech President Petr Pavel.
Mr. Trump plans to be in Davos, according to organisers.
Russia would still need to be consulted on the proposals.
Russia struck energy infrastructure in Ukraine’s Kyiv and Odesa regions overnight into Saturday (January 17, 2026), the Ministry of Energy said. More than 20 settlements in the Kyiv region were left without power following the attacks, the ministry wrote on its official Telegram channel.
Russia has hammered Ukraine’s power grid, especially in winter, throughout the war. It aims to weaken the Ukrainian will to resist in a strategy that Kyiv officials call “weaponising winter.”
Ukraine’s new energy minister, Denys Shmyhal, said Friday (January 16, 2026) that Russia had conducted 612 attacks on energy targets over last year. That barrage has intensified in recent months as nighttime temperatures plunge to minus 18 degrees Celsius (0 Fahrenheit).
Ukraine has introduced emergency measures, including temporarily easing curfew restrictions to allow people to go whenever they need to public heating centers set up by the authorities, Mr. Shmyhal said. He said hospitals, schools and other critical infrastructure remain the top priority for electricity and heat supplies.
Officials have instructed state energy companies Ukrzaliznytsia, Naftogaz and Ukroboronprom to urgently purchase imported electricity covering at least 50% of their own consumption, according to Mr. Shmyhal.
Published – January 17, 2026 06:51 pm IST
[ad_2]
Ukrainian delegation arrives in U.S. for peace talks as Russia hammers energy sites

